Neighbourhood Support Nelson has been operating since 2007, when it took over the role of establishing and supporting Neighbourhood Support groups from the Community Police Team.
We continue to work closely with the police to educate people about home and personal safety, and also work in partnership with the Nelson Tasman Emergency Management team, to educate people about preparing for natural disasters.
Our service is free and is managed by a co-ordinator, who is based at the Stoke police station.
Our mission: to make our homes, streets, neighbourhoods and communities feel safe and enhance/build a positive community spirit.
Our objective is to encourage neighbours to:
- Get to know each other
- Take responsibility for their own home security and personal safety
- Share information that will help reduce the risk and fear of crime
- Identify the needs of neighbours and ways to assist each other
- Be prepared for natural disasters and emergencies
- Decide on ways the neighbourhood will handle any civil emergencies that may occur
- Take pride in their neighbourhood and look at ways of enhancing it.
Our governance committee is made up of community representatives. It sets the goals and strategies for the organisation and meets every six weeks.
Current committee members are: Garry Thompson (chair), Keith Christie (treasurer), Christine Jackson (secretary), Peter Crins, Diane Goulding, Kay Hazeldine, Pam Schouten and John Jellyman
Garry Thompson| ph 544-3085| email email@example.com
Christine Jackson | email firstname.lastname@example.org
Keith Christie | email email@example.com
2017 AGM: Tuesday September 26, 7pm
Venue: Meeting hall, upstairs at Nick Smith’s rooms, 544 Waimea Rd
Guest speaker: Donna Smith, Victim Support Co-ordinator for Tasman area
Nominations for committee members are welcome and must be submitted by 5pm on September 11. Click on the links below to download a nomination form.
Banner photo: Fairfax NZ