Neighbourhood Support Nelson has been operating since 2007, when it took over the role of establishing and supporting Neighbourhood Support groups from the Community Police Team.
We continue to work closely with the police to educate people about home and personal safety, and also work in partnership with the Nelson Tasman Emergency Management team, to educate people about preparing for emergencies.
Our service is free and is managed by a co-ordinator.
Our mission: to make our homes, streets, neighbourhoods and communities feel safe and enhance/build a positive community spirit.
Our objective is to encourage neighbours to:
- Get to know each other
- Take responsibility for their own home security and personal safety
- Share information that will help reduce the risk and fear of crime
- Identify the needs of neighbours and ways to assist each other
- Be prepared for natural disasters and emergencies
- Decide on ways the neighbourhood will handle any civil emergencies that may occur
- Take pride in their neighbourhood and look at ways of enhancing it.
Our governance committee is made up of community representatives. It sets the goals and strategies for the organisation and meets every six weeks.
Current committee members are: Garry Thompson (chair), Keith Christie (treasurer), Peter Crins, Kay Hazeldine, John Jellyman and Ian Christison.
Chairperson Garry Thompson| ph 544-3085| Email
Treasurer Keith Christie | Email
We welcome new Committee members, so please do get in touch if you are interested in joining the Committee | firstname.lastname@example.org
Banner photo: Fairfax NZ